Thursday, April 29, 2010

Materials- Sustainable Project- Project Updates


The more I work with this concept the farther I move away from crochet. I mean, no matter what I do it feels crafty and I think it is going away from my concept using the crochet. I decided to really sit down and figure out -what- I wanted to do with this project. Was it about crochet and keeping a dieing tradition alive? If so, Why the fruit? Couldn't there be something -else- that would be more suited to this?

That's when I realized that really, the crochet was a means to achieve a different concept and that I was really back on the concept I was working with on my "Enjoy Your Lunch" piece of last semester. Really, I wanted to make fresh produce more readily available in the home by giving the consumer something that was a fruit container that encouraged through interaction to put and take out fruit. So, I have been deciding better ways to convey this message of healthy eating and more healthy alternatives in the home through a sustainable medium. I was looking into designs I could use.


Last week, Megan showed us how to do that technique with the cheerios, and honestly I fell in love with the design. It instantly reminded me of those African instruments and drums. I always thought they were aesthetically very pleasing to look at and they were always around vegetable gourds. I was wondering what I could do with that in more simplistic way. So, I researched some instruments. Honestly, the beads seemed like an afterthought I was thinking I could directly incorporate them into my design and depending on the materials make a comment with them.

No comments: