Thursday, April 29, 2010

J2- Project 2, Reflection


Reflection of "On The Hook"
I really enjoyed this project. This is really the first time I got to sit down and really design something in metal start to finish that had many surfaces and details. "On the Hook" is a 5.25" x 1.66" x 0.5" narrative pendant depicting the story of me catching my first fish when I was down in Chincoteague, VA as a small child. I got so excited that I flipped over the boat and still managed to keep hold of the fish. The front of the pendant shows the fish and the inside details the acts of catching it. The backside (flat side) of the piece shows the cleaning of the fish by the docks as is the tradition of my family ( you catch it, you clean it). The pendant is made of copper, brass and sterling silver and completely done is cold connections.  I am quite pleased with the way it turned out employing many various techniques including: rivetting, chasing and repousse, sawing and piercing, tabs, heat patinas and liver of sulfur patinas. My favorite portion of the pendant has to be the front repousse of the fish. I think it came out exactly as I wanted, I do feel that I could work more on the connections in the future and I could stand to practice more rivets. 

My peer review of the pendant was pretty positive. They found its overall looking complete and that every surface has been designed and considered. They seem to understand the narrative concept right away and understand the imagery and beach themes used throughout. They liked the materials and the patinas used but find the edges to be unfinished and that they could be sanded more (this I agree with). They did comment it was a bit large to be wearable. I think this is a valid critique. I had originally intended it to be smaller but when it came out larger I decided to work with it. It did make it a bit easier to rivet it together and easier to sand the surfaces. They did find that if it hangs lower it would be able to be worn which is why I chose to lengthen the fishing line strand to make it hang a bit lower. 

No comments: