Thursday, October 21, 2010

J3. Die Forming Crowdsource

I want to start out by saying this project was very emotional for me. I do not wish to give too much away for the entire concept because I feel that it will create a bias in some way as to the feedback I want to receive. So, in a quick summary of the project:

The project was to create a container using all the processes we have learned to this point and well as using a new technique of die-forming. For my subject matter, I decided to create a small box in which a note to a deceased relative would be encapsulated. This box was designed off of the different flowers and colors and senses I could remember from this person when I was a young child. Every part of the exterior of the die-form and the interior of the box that is to hold the note was carefully considered and planned for this person. The entire box was made for this person and this person alone. To create a sense of being private and internal the box is sealed in gut that binds it closed. The gut is fragile and can be easily ripped into. It is a representation of the thin barrier I put up to protect myself from the painful memories of loosing this individual. The gut also creates a barrier between the viewer and the piece protecting the note with very personal feelings from the outside world and the viewer.

The box will be shown below with the gut being ripped into, this is merely so that it can be viewed, also the gut takes off any patina that has been done unless it is sealed. I used a liver of sulfur patina making it hard to seal. If anyone has a suggestion of how it can be sealed without removing this patina I would very much like to find out so that the gut does not rip off the patina if it is ever removed for display purposes.

This is the piece in all the angles I captured. Thank you again for your time and comments can be left below or  emailed to pdobso1@students.towson.edu, if your coming from my facebook page, questions and comments may be asked there as well. Also, if you wish more detailed information you may visit the rest of my blog where you will find many posts detailing very aspect of this project and the process. Any questions you may have can be asked in the comment section below or again emailed to me directly.

Exterior with gut ripped for display. 

Quick Note: The gut here would be completely covering the back and the adhesive squares would be affixed to the covering gut allowing it to be placed anywhere on the body.

Close-up of Top and with detailing of bottom

Interior without Note

Interior Space with note inside. 

Showing it with one possible placement on the body. It is only meant to be worn when you want a physical memory of this person.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The craftsmanship here looks meticulous and very painstakingly done. There are, however, some small imperfections in this piece that my amateur eye can discern.

The first is that there appears to be no way to keep the container closed aside from the gut wrapping. The container is meant to be a barrier between the viewer and the contents so in this sense, it does fail; there ideally would be another way to keep the two pieces connected.

I would ideally like to see a photo of the container shut and without the gut 'sleeve'.From what I can see however, the form is overall solid. The craftsmanship, again, is great. The concept escapes me somewhat but as a very personal piece, I understand that there are likely strong reasons for shaping it as such. To the common viewer you have achieved success in making the piece inaccessible - the form is abstract and not necessarily aesthetically enjoyable. In the most immature of senses, it reminds me of a squid or some soft, fleshy creature despite its material. Again, the concept behind this I understand is a very private one and as such I cannot really criticise it. These observations should be taken with a grain of salt.

Overall, the piece seems to alienate the wearer and that offers an odd dichotomy - a piece that is used to remember an individual but also not visually pleasing. It is not ugly, but the gut certainly lends itself to a sense of distaste, especially the close resemblance of the piece to a heart. I personally feel that there's a slight disconnect and that it would be hard to connect with other individuals through this piece; at the same time, I feel that it is well-crafted and in the sense of a self-contained, individual representation of a private concept, it is well-executed.

Trishy said...

Thank you for the wonderful critique. It seems to reaffirm some of the thoughts I myself had of the piece. Your critique of the closing of the box is dead on. I plan to put on a hinge and clasp, but I was have a lot of trouble with it. I want to go back into this with a little more skill and execute the clasp.

As for the disconnection, I agree, I think it is hard for a viewer to read all the aspects of it. I somewhat expected this, but you illustrated some of the reasoning very well.

I will take these aspects into consideration as I move forward with this design.