Monday, December 7, 2009

Homeless Veterans

Somethings make you wonder what is going on in the world. Recently in Chicago a homeless shelter was opened for veterans. It was not really even an article, more of like a blurb about it opening in the worldpress. http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1925052,homeless-shelter-veterans-120709.article The fact that we are allowing returning war veterans to go homeless is a crime. They fought for this country and they deserve more respect. Even if you oppose the war something should be done for them.

I also wonder about the training they are recieving in the military if they are unable to transition out of it into a stable job. My godbrother was trained as a plane and h-vac mechanic to which he still works in that field today. He left the marines as an MP only a few years ago. I wonder what changed to make it so that these men can't leave with a useable skill.

My other problem with this is, it is only a men's shelter. Now, I realize the military is predominantly male;however, there ARE women in the military. I am sure they are affected the same way these men are. How are they being helped?

No comments: