Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Test Flight Testing Budgets

I was browsing around Worldpress.com to see what was going on in the world and I found an ariticle about the $445m 6-minute test flight for a new NASA rocket. (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/445m-for-nasas-sixminute-test-flight-1810900.html). As a lot of my friends know, I am a bit of a physics nerd. I love calculations and inventions and new ideas that could change the world but....


I have to stop and think for a minute. We spent $445 MILLION DOLLARS on a flight to test a new passanger space rocket during the recession we are in. I am the first person to tell you I love new tech, I just wonder if it is coming at a good time. People are always very apt in times of crisis to blame technology. I would hate to see the space program come under fire just because they are trying to experiment with newer faster programs.


I also wonder what they $445m could have been used for. 90% of that cost probably went into all those sensors that will take years to decode and analyze. After that they will most likely pay another $445m + on a new rocket.

No comments: